Friday, April 2, 2010

Can we get off this treadmill?

Here's one of my pet peeves.

A news story says the FDA is about to vastly expand the market for statins (which control cholesterol) so healthy people can take them as "prevention" against heart attacks.

But, research says statins can cause diabetes. Experts say it's worth the risk because statins reduce heart attack risk.

However, diabetes is KNOWN to increase heart disease risk.

Is it just me, or does this sound like a crazy treadmill?
--Take statins to prevent heart attack (keep in mind, you’re taking medication even before you get high cholesterol).
--Risk the statins elevating your blood sugar, and if they do, take another medication (metformin for “pre-diabetes” before you have the disease)
--Risk getting heart disease anyway, because you got diabetes from the statins elevating your blood sugar -- and take medication for heart disease.

Maybe I’m connecting the dots wrong – if I am, please straighten me out.

To my mind, REAL prevention would be a public health program (like those against smoking and drunk driving, or promoting seat belts) to get people to eat veggies and exercise – both known to reduce the risk factors of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and other chronic disease.

Health care reform could help because it has pilot projects to pay/reward doctors for intensively coaching people about the underlying issues of nutrition and weight.

We make a lot of choices in life and here’s another – get on the medication-as-prevention treadmill or stick with the exercise-and-veggies. Genetics have their influence. But I still have choices.

I think I’ll take a walk to the farmer’s market.

Susan@Regence