Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Kind of Reform Americans Want

Turn on any news channel this week and you’ll hear predictions about how many votes the Democrats have – or don’t have - to pass Obama’s health care reform bill.

Interestingly, if the bill passes, history will write that this Congress passed a historic health care package, marking this a time in history to remember – and it’s likely no one will remember how it came to pass. The debate on the process will be forgotten. Similar to former President Clinton’s economic legislation – thought to be passed by a landslide – when actually it was Vice President Al Gore who was the one to cast the deciding vote.

It’s during these times in America’s history that we learn more about the legislative process than we ever cared to – which is why we don’t remember it later.

But for me, this time seems more important than others. Maybe it’s because more Americans than I care to think about are out of work. Or maybe it’s because I work for an insurance company. Honestly, I think for me it’s a combination of both.

Regardless, it’s got me thinking… and I’m sure it’s got you thinking too. About what the heart of the issue is. About why we care so much. And about what’s at stake. In these times, I believe it’s not just our health that’s at stake. It’s our economic well-being, and the kind of problems we could pass on to our kids, and their kids, and their kids, and so on.

The stakes are high this time – and maybe we won’t remember the process, but we’ll sure remember the result. So I hope this Congress gets it right. I hope they understand what is really driving health care costs up for all of us, and making health coverage so unaffordable… rising medical costs.

In my opinion, current legislation isn’t going to bring down rising medical costs, or address it in the way that it needs to be. Y

You can say that I’m jaded by the industry, but I don’t think so. Even news media have released stories recently indicating that insurers aren’t raking in the cash. Like CNBC – stating that for every $1 the U.S. spends on health care, less than 1 penny goes to health insurer profits. And recently Warren Buffett indicated that he wouldn’t consider investing in a health insurance company… it’s because the profits aren’t there.

So why do medical costs rise? According to Kaiser Health News, the increased use of medical services, hospital stays, new technologies and doctor visits are to blame. Does current legislation account for that?

Regardless, history is in the making, and I believe we should all get involved. Write your Congressperson and tell them what you think. If you need help finding them, you can contact them via Regence’s Issues and Action Center.