Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Trend Emerges in Reducing Health Care Costs

A few weeks back I visited family in New Orleans, and the massive oil spill in the Gulf came up at a family party. My uncle works for a large oil company (I won’t say who, but it’s not BP), and since he is related in the oil industry, he was bombarded with questions about causes, clean up and costs. Suddenly, he was the oil spill “expert” at the party (despite the fact that he works in an entirely unrelated department of the company).

As a health insurance company employee, I am often peppered with questions at parties and family gatherings – everyone wants to know my position on the latest health care reform legislation. As if I’m suddenly an expert!

So when I was asked questions about health care at a function I attended last night with my husband, I was armed with an interesting perspective, after reading a great article about a new trend in reducing health care costs. Not only did I find this concept innovative, but so did the other party guests.

The premise is simple: pay doctors based on good care, instead of the number of patients they see. It’s quality versus quantity. Through this system it’s believed the sickest patients will get more coordinated care and attention. Not only are health insurers behind it, but so are a good number of physicians as well.

I’ve known about Regence’s support for this concept, and that our members can access nurse managers that will help guide them to stay on treatment plans and get health coaching - but in the midst of the doom and gloom of the economic news lately, and the persistent rise of health care costs (that will never seem to go down) – I was pleased to see someone else taking the initiative, and excited that doctors were on board.

Tackling rising health care costs will only benefit all of us. Are you a trendsetter? How will you bring down health care costs?