Monday, May 10, 2010

When Free Isn't Free

About two months ago I took my six month old to the pediatrician because she is allergic to every single brand of formula we had tried (and we tried every kind on the market). No matter the brand or base, her body’s reaction was terrible.

The doctor gave me a free sample of a new special type of formula – available only online, not in retail stores. So we tried it. The results weren’t perfect (let’s be honest, no formula is perfect), but bearable for our family.

So I went online to order some and the prices made me gasp – over $200 for one case! That’s eight cans! And one can goes in less than a week. You do the math.

Sound familiar? Maybe you haven’t ordered formula, but certainly you’ve tried a new prescription sample at your doctor’s recommendation – and once you’re hooked you find out the true cost of the medication. Apparently we aren’t the only ones. Check out this post on KevinMD.com.
I’m not faulting the doctor – he solved a major problem for our family. But maybe we should understand the high costs of everything, including medications, before we order them. This time the money came out of my pocket so I found out the real cost pretty quickly, but had my insurance been billed, would I have known what that cost my health care community pot? Probably not.

With costs on medications and special treatments as high as they are, no wonder health care costs are out of control.

Share your experiences. I want to hear what you think.